Do you have the mom who ALWAYS asks questions on campus tours? I love her! It’s true that you don’t really know about a college campus until you visit it. There are a number of ways you can do this, drive by, walk around on your own, take a tour, spend the night with a friend, attend a sporting event…just to name a few. One GREAT way to see a campus and many of it’s moving pieces is to visit for an Open House. These days are usually long and intense. There will be professors, students, admissions staff, directors of programs, athletics, booths set up by different clubs and organizations, various information sessions to attend and of course, tours of the campus. You can attend an Open House without preparing, just show up and you’ll get a ton of information about the school you’re visiting. However, I suggest you come prepared with questions. Open Houses are a great way for YOU to learn if a school meets YOUR wants and needs. This is your chance to have questions answered from students, professors, specific club members, programs, and admissions. I love getting questions from students. It shows that they are interested in the school and it helps you form a relationship with someone at that school which will be helpful if you decide to attend that school.
So, what do you ask to find out more about the school?
Questions for a current student
1. Does the school offer any programs to help with the transition to college?
2. How’s the food? How is living in the dorm?
3. How did you pick your major?
4. Have you done any internships? How did you get them?
5. What one thing would you change about the school?
1. Is there wireless access? Are the study rooms/library open 24-7?
2. Are professors easy to meet with outside of class?
3. Is there tutoring available?
4. What is career services like? Where do most people get jobs?
5. Can you change your major?
6. How is campus safety? Is there a medical facility on campus?
Questions NOT to ask
1. Personal questions to students and/or professors is a no go!
2. Questions about illegal activities i.e. where do freshman get alcohol? Where can I buy a fake ID? Are drugs easy to get on campus? (you would be surprised what I’ve been asked…)